2. Authority or repression (older brother).
3. Conﬂicts (if arguing). ... New American Dream Dictionary
A brother in a dream means having shareholders in one’s business.... Islamic Dream Interpretation
If you do not have a brother and dream that you have one, then this may indicate that you have to recognize certain attributes that you possess.
The brother in your dream may represent a very important relationship that you share with someone else.
A brother may also signify devout and inspirational emotions that you harbor.
It is also possible that you have trouble surrendering control and power to someone else.
To dream that you are mad or angry at your brother implies that you hold unresolved feelings of rage that you are hesitant to communicate... Dream Symbols and Analysis
If a woman dreams of her Brother, it is a sign of much domestic happiness; but if it is a man, then expect a quarrel.... Mystic Dream Book
If you don’t have a brother, this dream can be symbolic of brotherly love, being a “soul brother”, having a trusted bloodline with a man, or your connection to the brotherhood of men. See Family, Son and Boy.... Strangest Dream Explanations
An older brother can signify her extrovert self.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
Dreaming of a brother you don’t have means you feel the need to express yourself more fully.... My Dream Interpretation
For a woman it signifies great domestic security, but for a man it indicates family quarrels ahead.
An objective dream of unity between brothers is an indication of financial stability.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
If the former is the case, it may be obvious to you: recent encounters with your brother or sister, or some piece of news about him or her may be recognized as prompting the dream. Always be on the look-out, though, for those dreams where a brother or sister plavs a symbolic role. The dream source may choose its materials - its images - from your recent external experiences, but what those dream images represent is nearly always some part of yourself. So please read on.
(2) In early childhood a brother or sister is a natural object of jealousy and hatred. In the eyes of a small child the mother may seem to be favouring his or her sibling. When a second child is bom, the firstborn is especially likely to develop hostile feelings towards the new’ rival for mother’s attention and affection. Sometimes w’e carrv such jealous grievances (at an unconscious level) into adult life, w’here they continue to affect our behaviour and attitudes.
It is then imperative that w’e sort them out, face up to them, acknowledge them for w’hat they are, and so liberate ourselves from their damaging influence (see (3) below, second paragraph, on projections).
(3) An elder brother or sister (brother for a male dreamer, sister for a female dreamer) may represent your ‘other self (‘alter ego’), that side of your personality that has so far been neglected and undeveloped. Jung called it ‘the Shadow’’. We start adult life w’ith a self-image that is usually some sort of compromise between what w’e w’ant to be or do and w’hat parents or society at large seems to require of us.
If this self-image corresponds to our actual abilities, all may be well for a while; but a time mav come w hen wre need to give attention to other facets of our (potential) self. These other facets - our Shadow- - will show- themselves to us in dreams; and one form they take in dreams is that of an elder brother or sister.
People often project their shadow- on to a sibling of the same sex as themselves; and if it is not projected, it may express itself in all kinds of aw kward and embarrassing ways - astonishing rudeness, for example, or other antisocial behaviour. The contrast between your conscious ego and your alter ego mav be as startling as that between Jekvll and Hyde. Don’t be alarmed, though: remember alw-ays that your unconscious is vour ally - vour best friend - and even the most frightening or appalling things that reveal themselves in dreams as parts of vour unconscious are frightening or appalling, first, because of their unfamiliaritv and / or secondly, because, having been neglected and locked away in the dark, they tend to behave like a neglected child and mav become mutinous (on this phenomenon, see Demon). Pay proper attention and proper respect to them, and their threatening features will disappear; they will prove themselves valuable supplements to vour personal equipment for coping with life and achieving full satisfaction and wholeness. Introduce them into your consciousness, identify them and their needs, and give them a controlled and appropriate part to play in your waking life.
Incidentally, one test you can apply to check whether you have a neglected shadow-self is to ask yourself if there is some characteristic that you particularly dislike in other people (particularly your partner): a domineering tendency’, perhaps, or an over-liberal attitude, or whatever.
If there is (and of course you need a lot of honesty’ to admit this), then that characteristic is likely to belong to your shadow-self. We tend to project on to other people the dark, ‘nasty5 things that live in our own unconscious.
If something is going wrong in our life, we tend to put the blame on to other people, the government, or our parents; we look for some scapegoat to carry the blame. The blame, how ever, is ours, because we have not put our own house in order: we have not paid due attention to the demands of our unconscious and have not allowed our ‘other self proper scope for expression in our life.
(4) When a female dreams of a brother, or a male dreams of a sister, the brother / sister may represent w’hat Jung called the ‘soul-image’, w’hich is the masculine side of a woman’s personality (her animus) or the feminine side of a man’s personality (his anima). There would seem to be very basic differences between man and woman arising out of different biological functions (as well as less basic differences that owe their existence to social conditioning). There are w’hat have traditionally been called feminine qualities and capacities (such as gentleness, a caring disposition, creativeness, cooperativencss and relatedness, intuition) and, similarly, what have been called masculine qualities (such as aggressiveness and competitiveness, rationality’, and a tendency to analyse and look for differences). However, it is widclv accepted nowadays among psychotherapists that the male psyche also contains feminine qualities and the female psyche also contains masculine qualities, albeit often dormant and neglected, or repressed.
If you arc a man, do you admire the ‘masculine’ tv pc of woman? If vou do, vou may be in need of redressing the balance in vour psyche: vour feminine side
has possibly swamped your masculinity, and you now need to promote the latter. In your case, the anima will be rather masculine. This is just one instance of a general rule: the animus / anima will have the opposite characteristics to the conscious self-image.
Either male or female dreamers may find themselves in a dream in an heroic relationship to an anima / animus figure. A man may, in a dream, rescue a damsel in distress; a woman may waken a dead prince with a kiss. These should be seen as invitations to incorporate your anima / animus into vour conscious functioning, to rescue it from oblivion and neglect: to make Cinderella or the Frog-Prince your partner in life. Personal wholeness cannot be achieved without this. See also Cinderella, Frog, section (3), Marriage.
(5) A sister in a man’s dream or a brother in a woman’s dream may take the dreamer into some frightening abyss, to the bottom of the sea, or into a dark forest. This may represent the man’s anima or the woman’s animus leading the ego into the unconscious, to discover, for example, the deep emotional causes of a psychosomatic illness; the repressed rage that lies at the bottom of a chronic boredom; or the fount of energy or wisdom that can furnish a more fully satisfying existence. Literary and mythological representations of this can be found in the examples of Beatrice, who led Dante safely into hell and out again, and Ariadne, whose thread enabled Theseus to find his way out of the Cretan labyrinth after slaying the Minotaur. Both hell and labyrinths are symbols of the unconscious. See also Labyrinth, Monster, Underworld.
(6) Sometimes the anima / animus figure in a dream may appear in some way hostile or threatening. For example, in a man’s dream the anima may take the form of an enchantress, a femme fatale, seducing men into a lake or ocean. The watery depths may be seen as symbolizing the depths of the unconscious. The meaning of such a dream may be that the dreamer needs to explore his other - unconscious - self, despite (or, more accurately, because of) its frightening and threatening aspect. Water, however, is a symbol of the feminine, too. The meaning of the dream, therefore, might be that die dreamer is too heavily fixated on his mother and needs to liberate himself by asserting his masculinity and independence; in extreme cases the man might be in danger of being “possessed’ or ‘swallowed up’ by the feminine within his psyche. Such a dream may be, however, not a warning, but an invitation: the unconscious may be urging the man to get on better terms - equal terms - with the feminine side of his psyche. Give your anima / animus equality, and it will cease from its mutinous attempts to take over the whole of your psyche.
In the case of a woman, a dream may contain a male seducer: some Pied Piper animus figure. Again, the dreamer will have to decide whether such a dream is a warning or an invitation: a warning against being carried away by her masculinity (perhaps she has not resolved her early father fixation), or an invitation to discover and utilize her neglected masculinity. Commonsense and, above all, honesty should guide her to the correct understanding of the dream; and in any case, bear in mind what was said above about giving equality to the anima / animus.
(7) The unconscious compensates the conscious mind. It contains those qualities and capacities which the conscious mind lacks. In this sense it is the opposite of the conscious mind; hence its otherness, its alien appearance.
It follows, therefore, that the image that represents anima or animus in a dream may be the opposite of the psychological type to which the dreamer belongs. For example, if you are a woman of the intellectual type (i.e. if thinking is your strong point at the conscious level), your animus may be represented in dreams as a sentimental type (a romantic Don Juan, for instance).
If you are a sentimental woman (moved at the conscious level mainly by feelings - including moral feelings), your animus may show itself as a bearded professor or other intellectual figure.
If you are an intuitive woman (an artist, for instance), your animus mav take a muscular he-man form in dreams (the sensational type, functioning most strongly at the sensory level).
(8) If brother and sister appear together in a dream, this may symbolize either the tension of opposites, or the union of opposites. The opposites are the conscious and the unconscious contents of the psyche. Their union and interfusion are the means by which the self- the true self that is already within you but waits to be unfolded - is realized.
The appearance of this symbol will usually be an auspicious sign, meaning that, despite all appearances to the contrary, there is within you a latent and attainable order and harmony. But of course you - the conscious ego - must make that latent order real by paying loving attention to the needs of your unconscious opposite (like the prince who wakes the sleeping beauty with an embrace).... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
If a woman dreams of a younger brother, it can express either her own or her brother’s rivalry or vulnerability, but if she dreams of an older brother, it might signify her extrovert self.
The sister in dreams usually represents the feeling, expressive side of your personality and you can make contact with that side of yourself by understanding your sister’s personality.
If a man dreams of older sisters, it can represent anxiety but also caring.
If the sister is younger, however, she can symbolize the vulnerable side of the male dreamer.
If a woman dreams of younger sisters, it can suggest rivalry, but if she dreams of older sisters, she may be concerned about her own practicality.... The Element Encyclopedia
2- Any grouping of the masculine usually alerts us to the many sides and aspects of the masculine personality.
3- The Priesthood.... Ten Thousand Dream Dictionary
Depth Psychology: Your own unconscious is calling for attention! It either wants to give advice or a warning of danger to come. Try to find the meaning of the dream—it could give you very helpful advice.... Dreamers Dictionary
The significance of the dream, of course, depends on the words one hears-—whether warning or reassuring in their tone.
The voice of a living person heard in a dream foretells exciting news, which may be either pleasant or distressing according to what is said and the manner of speaking.... The Complete Dream Book
Folklore: Secret admirer.... Little Giant Encyclopedia
It is impossible to very dramatically shut the person out of thoughts and feelings. Just because the relationship ends does not mean that all is finished. As we go through relationships we learn and at times pick up “battle wounds.” You will continue to dream about your ex-girlfriend or boyfriend until you “let go” of them on a very important level, or until you learned your lessons from that relationship. Either way, dreaming about your ex-romance does not predict future involvement. It may be wish-fulfillment, reliving memories, or working out old issues. Dreams are very rarely prophetic. See also: People ... The Bedside Dream Dictionary
The dream may be a way of alerting you to the same or similar behavior in a current relationship. What you learned from that previous relationship may need to be applied to the present one so that you do not repeat the same mistake.
If you dreamed of getting back together with an ex, see “Reuniting.” If you dreamed about your boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend, the dream is warning you not to make the same relationship mistakes that ended their relationship.
If you dreamed about your ex’s new girlfriend, you may be comparing yourself to this person.... My Dream Interpretation
If you walk on burning fagots, you will be injured by the unwise actions of friends.
If you succeed in walking on them without being burned, you will have a miraculous rise in prospects.
To dream of seeing fagots piled up to burn you at the stake, signifies that you are threatened with loss, but if you escape, you will enjoy a long and prosperous life. ... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
If you dream of the fagots giving off a thick smoke then will your enemies get the better of you. Anothers actions will bring harm to you if you dream of walking on them, but if they do not burn you the harm will be negligible.... Encyclopedia of Dreams
Depth Psychology: Meeting a person you know: the feelings you have for the person in the dream are the same as those you have for a friend in real life.... Dreamers Dictionary
If you don’t have one in real life, the dream represents a desire for more affection and appreciation. This dream may equally spring from anxiety or from sexual excitement. Often, the girl is actually a reflection of yourself, so take note of how you treat her, because that represents your own self-image. Most girlfriend dreams involve travel - if yours doesn’t, you may be overdue for a trip.
If you dream of fooling around with somebody else’s girlfriend, you are suppressing passion in your waking life.... My Dream Interpretation
If this dream is about your ex-girlfriend, see Ex-Girlfriend.
If this is your friend, see Friend.... Strangest Dream Explanations
If a girlfriend appears in a woman’s dream, there can either be a concern about her in our mind, or we need to search for – and find – qualities belonging to the friend in her.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
The same meaning applies to a dream involving a gothic atmosphere, or gothic architecture.... My Dream Interpretation
It is this interpretation which may be relevant in dreams, we are able to circumvent a difficulty.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
If there are pieces missing in the puzzle, then it suggests that we do not have all the facts in order to make a considered decision.
If the pieces do not fit we may be at odds with a given way of working.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
If there are pieces missing in the puzzle, then it suggests that you do not have all the facts in order to make a good decision.... My Dream Interpretation
2. Someone is taking advantage of one’s generosity.
3. Fear of death. ... New American Dream Dictionary
Folklore: Domestic quarrels.... Little Giant Encyclopedia
Depth Psychology: A maggot usually stands for your own negative behavior; it might also be a sign that you are trying to change your behavior.... Dreamers Dictionary
If a fisherman was using maggots we would be referring to power and energy, but if someone else was using maggots, their use of nastiness might be in question.
2- Maggots can represent impurities in the bodv and the sense of being eaten up by something of having something within our body- such as an idea or feeling - that is alien to us and can therefore overtake and overcome us.
3- Maggots in dreams may reflect our own fears about death and illness.... Ten Thousand Dream Dictionary
If a fisherman was using maggots we would be referring to power and energy, but if someone else was using maggots, their use of nastiness might be in question. Consult the entry for death, dead people and ill / illness for further clarification.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
If you dream of maggots, you are in the process of coming out of a change that has taken place in the past.... Complete Dictionary of Dreams
To see big saws in machinery, foretells that you will superintend a big enterprise, and the same will yield fair returns.
For a woman, this dream denotes that she will be esteemed, and her counsels will be heeded.
To dream of rusty or broken saws, denotes failure and accidents.
To lose a saw, you will engage in affairs which will culminate in disaster.
To hear the buzz of a saw, indicates thrift and prosperity.
To find a rusty saw, denotes that you will probably restore your fortune.
To carry a saw on your back, foretells that you will carry large, but profitable, responsibilities.... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
A saw in a dream also may represent a judge, an arbitrator, or marriage.
A saw in a dream also means division of assets, a scale, or a perfidious person who loves to create division between a husband and a wife, and to separates between them.
A saw in a dream also represents a cunning person, unfair dealings between people, hypocrisy, evil, an informant, or sexual intercourse.
A saw in a dream also represents a helper, strength, profits, a public ordinance, a proclamation, a learned person, ora judge.
A lumberman’s saw in a dream represents an astringent and an austere headman.
A marble saw in a dream signifies running out of tricks, or presenting an unsatisfactory proof.
A handsaw in a dream represents a layman, a miller, or sieve merchant, etcetera.... Islamic Dream Interpretation
A well-known symbol of differentiation (analysis) and intellectual work.
The saw is changing something rough into something more precise that the dreamer then can use. In many instances, this dream image has something to do with willpower that can be used to bring success.... Little Giant Encyclopedia
The faster the progress, the better are your chances for success.... The Complete Dream Book
The dream may also be a pun on something you saw or are seeing.
To see an electric saw in your dream, signifies your ability to get down to the core of the problem. You know how to get to the point quickly.... My Dream Interpretation
If a woman uses a saw, friends will come to her for advice.
The sound of a buzz saw portends frugality and resourcefulness.... Psycho Dream Interpretation
If you dreamed of a band saw, the dream is telling you to persevere and you will win the approval you seek; a jigsaw portends the breakup of a romantic attachment; a buzz saw is a warning that you are endangering your reputation and/or credit through association with undesirable companions; a hacksaw predicts an increase in responsibility but with unexpected compensations; an ordinary handsaw indicates difficulties and obstacles to be overcome during a change which will ultimately be an advance.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
The saw itself represents your ability to change the shape of some form of thought, idea, or consciousness. When put to use, such a tool can be highly constructive but also dangerous. Let your dream indicate which direction to take your interpretation.... Complete Dictionary of Dreams
Depth Psychology: The saw is a sign that you are overly critical and at times too cynical. Working with a saw: you need to solve conflicts and problems on your own.
The dream might also suggest you let go of a relationship. Sometimes the saw indicates sexual desires that call for attention.... Dreamers Dictionary
This suggests that dreams are almost entirely about giving attention to, being aware of, being confronted by, considering or realising some aspect of the enormously wide range of experience which human consciousness meets. Therefore, whatever appears in the dream shows we are giving some thought to, feeling or confronting what is depicted. During each day we meet, in sensory impressions, in memory, in emotion, in thought, a huge variety of things.
It is therefore of great interest what comparatively few subjects our spontaneous dream response chooses to give attention to out of all the range. It seems likely these chosen areas are important to us.
Looking at something implies our attitudes or response to what is seen. Being looked at by someone else in the dream suggests seeing oneself from a viewpoint which is not our norm. By actually attempting to stand in the role of the other person, as described in dream processing, we can become conscious of this different viewpoint. By standing in our own role in the dream, and actually taking time to consider what it is we are ‘seeing, and the impressions involved, we can ‘see’ or become aware of what the dream is getting us to look at regarding ourself. Idioms: from the look of things; look after, look askance at; look at; look before you leap; look blue, look down on; look for, look forward to; look into; look out, look over something; look small; look the other way; look up to; look for a fight; not like the look of; as far as I can see; as I see it; do you see what I mean; I’ll see about that; I see, see over something; overseer; see eye to eye; see life; see red; see which way the wind blows; catch sight of; get out of my sight, in sight of; lose sight of; out of sight, out of mind, second sight; at first sight. See searching. ... A Guide to Dreams and Sleep Experiences
2. One is indecisive about something. ... New American Dream Dictionary
If you do not have step-brothers and step-sisters in waking life, this may indicate a lack of intimacy and connection in your current social circle. See also RELATIONSHIPS.... The Element Encyclopedia