78 dream symbols found for this dream.
2. Authority or repression (older brother).
3. Conﬂicts (if arguing). ... New American Dream Dictionary
A brother in a dream means having shareholders in one’s business.... Islamic Dream Interpretation
If you do not have a brother and dream that you have one, then this may indicate that you have to recognize certain attributes that you possess.
The brother in your dream may represent a very important relationship that you share with someone else.
A brother may also signify devout and inspirational emotions that you harbor.
It is also possible that you have trouble surrendering control and power to someone else.
To dream that you are mad or angry at your brother implies that you hold unresolved feelings of rage that you are hesitant to communicate... Dream Symbols and Analysis
If a woman dreams of her Brother, it is a sign of much domestic happiness; but if it is a man, then expect a quarrel.... Mystic Dream Book
If you don’t have a brother, this dream can be symbolic of brotherly love, being a “soul brother”, having a trusted bloodline with a man, or your connection to the brotherhood of men. See Family, Son and Boy.... Strangest Dream Explanations
An older brother can signify her extrovert self.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
Dreaming of a brother you don’t have means you feel the need to express yourself more fully.... My Dream Interpretation
For a woman it signifies great domestic security, but for a man it indicates family quarrels ahead.
An objective dream of unity between brothers is an indication of financial stability.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
If the former is the case, it may be obvious to you: recent encounters with your brother or sister, or some piece of news about him or her may be recognized as prompting the dream. Always be on the look-out, though, for those dreams where a brother or sister plavs a symbolic role. The dream source may choose its materials - its images - from your recent external experiences, but what those dream images represent is nearly always some part of yourself. So please read on.
(2) In early childhood a brother or sister is a natural object of jealousy and hatred. In the eyes of a small child the mother may seem to be favouring his or her sibling. When a second child is bom, the firstborn is especially likely to develop hostile feelings towards the new’ rival for mother’s attention and affection. Sometimes w’e carrv such jealous grievances (at an unconscious level) into adult life, w’here they continue to affect our behaviour and attitudes.
It is then imperative that w’e sort them out, face up to them, acknowledge them for w’hat they are, and so liberate ourselves from their damaging influence (see (3) below, second paragraph, on projections).
(3) An elder brother or sister (brother for a male dreamer, sister for a female dreamer) may represent your ‘other self (‘alter ego’), that side of your personality that has so far been neglected and undeveloped. Jung called it ‘the Shadow’’. We start adult life w’ith a self-image that is usually some sort of compromise between what w’e w’ant to be or do and w’hat parents or society at large seems to require of us.
If this self-image corresponds to our actual abilities, all may be well for a while; but a time mav come w hen wre need to give attention to other facets of our (potential) self. These other facets - our Shadow- - will show- themselves to us in dreams; and one form they take in dreams is that of an elder brother or sister.
People often project their shadow- on to a sibling of the same sex as themselves; and if it is not projected, it may express itself in all kinds of aw kward and embarrassing ways - astonishing rudeness, for example, or other antisocial behaviour. The contrast between your conscious ego and your alter ego mav be as startling as that between Jekvll and Hyde. Don’t be alarmed, though: remember alw-ays that your unconscious is vour ally - vour best friend - and even the most frightening or appalling things that reveal themselves in dreams as parts of vour unconscious are frightening or appalling, first, because of their unfamiliaritv and / or secondly, because, having been neglected and locked away in the dark, they tend to behave like a neglected child and mav become mutinous (on this phenomenon, see Demon). Pay proper attention and proper respect to them, and their threatening features will disappear; they will prove themselves valuable supplements to vour personal equipment for coping with life and achieving full satisfaction and wholeness. Introduce them into your consciousness, identify them and their needs, and give them a controlled and appropriate part to play in your waking life.
Incidentally, one test you can apply to check whether you have a neglected shadow-self is to ask yourself if there is some characteristic that you particularly dislike in other people (particularly your partner): a domineering tendency’, perhaps, or an over-liberal attitude, or whatever.
If there is (and of course you need a lot of honesty’ to admit this), then that characteristic is likely to belong to your shadow-self. We tend to project on to other people the dark, ‘nasty5 things that live in our own unconscious.
If something is going wrong in our life, we tend to put the blame on to other people, the government, or our parents; we look for some scapegoat to carry the blame. The blame, how ever, is ours, because we have not put our own house in order: we have not paid due attention to the demands of our unconscious and have not allowed our ‘other self proper scope for expression in our life.
(4) When a female dreams of a brother, or a male dreams of a sister, the brother / sister may represent w’hat Jung called the ‘soul-image’, w’hich is the masculine side of a woman’s personality (her animus) or the feminine side of a man’s personality (his anima). There would seem to be very basic differences between man and woman arising out of different biological functions (as well as less basic differences that owe their existence to social conditioning). There are w’hat have traditionally been called feminine qualities and capacities (such as gentleness, a caring disposition, creativeness, cooperativencss and relatedness, intuition) and, similarly, what have been called masculine qualities (such as aggressiveness and competitiveness, rationality’, and a tendency to analyse and look for differences). However, it is widclv accepted nowadays among psychotherapists that the male psyche also contains feminine qualities and the female psyche also contains masculine qualities, albeit often dormant and neglected, or repressed.
If you arc a man, do you admire the ‘masculine’ tv pc of woman? If vou do, vou may be in need of redressing the balance in vour psyche: vour feminine side
has possibly swamped your masculinity, and you now need to promote the latter. In your case, the anima will be rather masculine. This is just one instance of a general rule: the animus / anima will have the opposite characteristics to the conscious self-image.
Either male or female dreamers may find themselves in a dream in an heroic relationship to an anima / animus figure. A man may, in a dream, rescue a damsel in distress; a woman may waken a dead prince with a kiss. These should be seen as invitations to incorporate your anima / animus into vour conscious functioning, to rescue it from oblivion and neglect: to make Cinderella or the Frog-Prince your partner in life. Personal wholeness cannot be achieved without this. See also Cinderella, Frog, section (3), Marriage.
(5) A sister in a man’s dream or a brother in a woman’s dream may take the dreamer into some frightening abyss, to the bottom of the sea, or into a dark forest. This may represent the man’s anima or the woman’s animus leading the ego into the unconscious, to discover, for example, the deep emotional causes of a psychosomatic illness; the repressed rage that lies at the bottom of a chronic boredom; or the fount of energy or wisdom that can furnish a more fully satisfying existence. Literary and mythological representations of this can be found in the examples of Beatrice, who led Dante safely into hell and out again, and Ariadne, whose thread enabled Theseus to find his way out of the Cretan labyrinth after slaying the Minotaur. Both hell and labyrinths are symbols of the unconscious. See also Labyrinth, Monster, Underworld.
(6) Sometimes the anima / animus figure in a dream may appear in some way hostile or threatening. For example, in a man’s dream the anima may take the form of an enchantress, a femme fatale, seducing men into a lake or ocean. The watery depths may be seen as symbolizing the depths of the unconscious. The meaning of such a dream may be that the dreamer needs to explore his other - unconscious - self, despite (or, more accurately, because of) its frightening and threatening aspect. Water, however, is a symbol of the feminine, too. The meaning of the dream, therefore, might be that die dreamer is too heavily fixated on his mother and needs to liberate himself by asserting his masculinity and independence; in extreme cases the man might be in danger of being “possessed’ or ‘swallowed up’ by the feminine within his psyche. Such a dream may be, however, not a warning, but an invitation: the unconscious may be urging the man to get on better terms - equal terms - with the feminine side of his psyche. Give your anima / animus equality, and it will cease from its mutinous attempts to take over the whole of your psyche.
In the case of a woman, a dream may contain a male seducer: some Pied Piper animus figure. Again, the dreamer will have to decide whether such a dream is a warning or an invitation: a warning against being carried away by her masculinity (perhaps she has not resolved her early father fixation), or an invitation to discover and utilize her neglected masculinity. Commonsense and, above all, honesty should guide her to the correct understanding of the dream; and in any case, bear in mind what was said above about giving equality to the anima / animus.
(7) The unconscious compensates the conscious mind. It contains those qualities and capacities which the conscious mind lacks. In this sense it is the opposite of the conscious mind; hence its otherness, its alien appearance.
It follows, therefore, that the image that represents anima or animus in a dream may be the opposite of the psychological type to which the dreamer belongs. For example, if you are a woman of the intellectual type (i.e. if thinking is your strong point at the conscious level), your animus may be represented in dreams as a sentimental type (a romantic Don Juan, for instance).
If you are a sentimental woman (moved at the conscious level mainly by feelings - including moral feelings), your animus may show itself as a bearded professor or other intellectual figure.
If you are an intuitive woman (an artist, for instance), your animus mav take a muscular he-man form in dreams (the sensational type, functioning most strongly at the sensory level).
(8) If brother and sister appear together in a dream, this may symbolize either the tension of opposites, or the union of opposites. The opposites are the conscious and the unconscious contents of the psyche. Their union and interfusion are the means by which the self- the true self that is already within you but waits to be unfolded - is realized.
The appearance of this symbol will usually be an auspicious sign, meaning that, despite all appearances to the contrary, there is within you a latent and attainable order and harmony. But of course you - the conscious ego - must make that latent order real by paying loving attention to the needs of your unconscious opposite (like the prince who wakes the sleeping beauty with an embrace).... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
If a woman dreams of a younger brother, it can express either her own or her brother’s rivalry or vulnerability, but if she dreams of an older brother, it might signify her extrovert self.
The sister in dreams usually represents the feeling, expressive side of your personality and you can make contact with that side of yourself by understanding your sister’s personality.
If a man dreams of older sisters, it can represent anxiety but also caring.
If the sister is younger, however, she can symbolize the vulnerable side of the male dreamer.
If a woman dreams of younger sisters, it can suggest rivalry, but if she dreams of older sisters, she may be concerned about her own practicality.... The Element Encyclopedia
2- Any grouping of the masculine usually alerts us to the many sides and aspects of the masculine personality.
3- The Priesthood.... Ten Thousand Dream Dictionary
It is common to have disturbing dreams for some period afterwards; or not be able to dream about the husband (or wife) at all; or to see the partner in the distance but not get near. In accepting the death, meeting any feelings of loss, grief, anger and continuing love, the dream may become as below.
The example both shows the resolution of the loss, but also the paradox felt at realising the meeting was an inner reality. Example: ‘A couple of months ago as I was waking I felt my husband’s arm across me and most realistically experienced my hand wrapping around his arm and turning towards him (which I had done so often in his lifetime) and saying “1 thought you had died. Thank God you have not.” Then I awoke alone and terribly shaken’ (Mrs I).
A critic might say this is only a dream in which a lonely woman is replaying memories of her dead husband’s presence for her own comfort—thus her disappointment on being disillusioned. Whatever our opinion, the woman has within her such memories to replay. These are reality.
The inner reality is of what experience was left within her from the relationship. Her challenge is whether she can meet this treasure with its share of pain, and draw out of it the essence which enriches her own being. That is the spiritual life of her husband.
The aliveness’ of her husband in that sense is also social, because many other people share memories of him. What arises in their own lives from such memories is the observable influence of the now dead person.
But the dead also touch us more mysteriously, as in the next example. Example: In a recent news programme on television, a man who survived a Japanese prisoner of war camp in Singapore had been given a photograph of children by a dying soldier he did not know.
The man had asked him to tell his family of his death, but did not give his name.
The photograph was kept for 40 odd years, the man still wanting to complete his promise but not knowing how. One night he dreamt he was told the man’s name. Enquiries soon found the family of the man, who had an identical photograph. See husband under family. ... A Guide to Dreams and Sleep Experiences
Breast Feeding : If a person sees himself breast feeding or being breast fed, he will soon be imprisoned and the prison doors will be closed on him for a long time.
And Allah knows best.... Islamic Dream Interpretation
A woman is the intuitive, creative part of self. Whatever qualities, characteristics, and lessons that you associate with that person you may be learning about again. Pay attention.... The Dream Books Symbols
Vision: Dreaming about kisses indicates unfulfilled love with a hint of eroticism. Dreaming you are kissing a stranger (man or woman): is a warning that a short-lived acquaintance will bring you nothing but trouble. Kissing a person you know: the relationship to that person will get even better. Kissing your mother you are longing for tenderness. Kissing in old person: disappointment in a love relationship.
Depth Psychology: Kisses mean that you long for love, tenderness, affection. or passion.... Dreamers Dictionary
If it is someone whom you have a right to kiss, the dream portends high honors and a comfortable living.... The Complete Dream Book
A kiss from a stranger implies an unexpected gift.
An unwanted kiss indicates upcoming overtures from someone the dreamer does not like.
The overtures may or may not be romantic in nature.... Dream Explanations of Astro Center
For gypsy tradition, kissing predicts that a dispute will soon come to an end.... The Big Dictionary of Dreams
If your sexual needs are repressed or denied, this may manifest in dreams about masturbation in an attempt to release sexual energy and comfort yourself.... The Element Encyclopedia
Romantic kissing or other romantic interaction can represent: emotional intimacy (emotional trust or openness), an interaction (a dialogue or shared process), or a feeling of closeness with someone; remembering when you felt close to someone; liking the person or wanting to know them better (not necessarily romantically).
Unwelcome romantic kissing can represent unwelcome emotional intimacy (such as a stranger telling you their secrets) or a feeling that someone is interacting in too familiar a way (such as acting like they’re your close friend when they aren’t).
See also: Lips; Hug; Cuddle; Romance... The Curious Dreamer’s Dream Dictionary
For a young woman to dream of such a person, foretells that distress and calumny will attend her.... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
2. One wants to become pregnant. ... New American Dream Dictionary
(Also see Dromedary rider)... Islamic Dream Interpretation
A new phase in your life.
A new idea or new behavior needs help in order to be accepted.... Little Giant Encyclopedia
It is death to the sick, for she always pulleth out that which is contained from her which containeth it, and iayeth it on the ground.
To those which are kept by force.
To dream of a midwife signifies liberty.
If a woman that is not with child drcameth of seeing her, it fore-showeth she will have a fit of sickness, of long continuance.... The Complete Dream Book
Depth Psychology: The midwife stands for needing help in the Birth of a new idea.... Dreamers Dictionary
If the needle happens to break, his affairs will be disrupted and he will become needy and poor.... Islamic Dream Interpretation
If you do not have step-brothers and step-sisters in waking life, this may indicate a lack of intimacy and connection in your current social circle. See also RELATIONSHIPS.... The Element Encyclopedia
To dream that your wife is unusually affable, denotes that you will receive profit from some important venture in trade.
For a wife to dream her husband whips her, foretells unlucky influences will cause harsh criticism in the home and a general turmoil will ensue. ... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
2. Indication that one’s relationship is troublesome. ... New American Dream Dictionary
(Also see Climbing a mountain; Closet; Hide-out; Kh.imiir; Marriage; Protection; Veil)... Islamic Dream Interpretation
A man who dreams that his wife is more than ordinarily affable is likely to profit Largely from an Important commercial undertaking.... The Complete Dream Book
A dream of someone else - such as a boyfriend or crush - having a wife, suggests that you are unconfident about your abilities to hold someone’s attention.
If you dreamed of being a wife, or getting married, look up “Marriage” or “Wedding”.... My Dream Interpretation
(2) Even so, bear in mind that the way you relate to your wife (in the dream or in reality) may contain elements of your relation with your mother or your anima. (For anima, see Brother / Sister, sections
(3) Seeing a deceased wife is common. Try to feel her - and your love for her - within yourself, rather than as an external presence.... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
Dreaming of a single man walking next to a woman claiming to be his wife predicts unexpected news.... The Big Dictionary of Dreams
If you find yourself in a love triangle in your dream this indicates a difficult conflict of interests and shifting feelings within a relationship.
If your first wife appears in your dreams this represents the past; competition for the second wife.
If a widow appears in your dreams, this represents fears about the break-up of your relationship, or even the desire to break a relationship. It can also suggest feelings of loneliness or loss.
If you are a married woman dreaming about being a widow, this indicates fears about losing your husband or a desire to be free of him. Unmarried women dreaming of, or meeting, a widow might indicate anxieties about a relationship or the prospect of one. See also Gay relationships in RELATIONSHIPS.... The Element Encyclopedia
Dreaming of a partner sometimes signifies the part of our personality that we cannot quite make full use of without help.
A man will often attempt to prove himself a good husband through his dreams. He may experience in dreams the potential loss and death of his partner with the same intensity as he experienced the first ‘loss’ of his mother.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
The same dream could mean that either she will benefit from the good qualities of her husband or he will benefit from her good qualities.... Islamic Dream Interpretation