(2) If you are doing the chasing, the ‘you’ in your dream is probably your conscious ego and the thing you are chasing is almost certainly some part of yourself that frightens you. Chasing it away means disowning it, banishing it from your conscious life. It might be much better to try to integrate it into your conscious life. At the very least, get to know it and understand it.... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
If you dream that you are chasing someone, it means you are attempting to overcome a difficult goal or task in real life. You may also be expressing some aggressive feelings toward others.
To dream that you or others are being chased by the police, suggests that you are trying to avoid responsibility for something.... My Dream Interpretation
If he is dead, it denotes that your business is pulling heavily, and you will have to use caution in conducting it.
For a young woman to dream of her dead father, portends that her lover will, or is, playing her false. ... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
2. Protection, security.
3. Self-reliance, independence.
4. Business-related activities. ... New American Dream Dictionary
If one is sick, it means that he will recover from his illness.
If he sees that his father is given a dwelling with high fences, it means that he will continue his father’s work and manage what he has left for him in this world.
(Also see Governor)... Islamic Dream Interpretation
The image of the father could also represent the “collective consciousness,” the traditional spirit, and the yang.... The Bedside Dream Dictionary
A child is, figuratively, like a growing plant. It takes in lumps of external material and transforms them into its own being.
A child unconsciously either takes father or mother as its main model for structuring its behaviour and aims. But also, huge areas of our basic self revolve around mother and father. Even not having an available father leaves an enormous imprint in this archetypal area. Our father in our dreams therefore is most often the overall effect, habits, traits, which arise from our experience—or lack of it—of our father. Father is also the great figure of original authority and strength in our life. He therefore depicts our relationship with outside authority or power. Struggle or seeking to placate father: may show how we deal with authority.
Our baby or child self has no restraints and, in its relationship with father, at times felt urges which as an adult we might find hard to believe or accept. In our dreams we frequently release these urges. Killing father: expressing anger, getting rid of him so there is no competition for mother, gaining your own ability to make decisions and be independent. At some point we need to kill him inside us to claim whatever strength we can from our experience of him and become independent. Sex with father: for the woman fulfilment of childhood desires to possess; for a man desire to receive his love.
The father may not easily have shown his love, so the child becomes desperate to receive. Burying father most likely same as killing; or facing his death and one’s own independence. ... A Guide to Dreams and Sleep Experiences
A person who teaches the laws of life.
The archetypal father figure stands for the need for security, order, authority, and achievement (Mars) and awareness / consciousness (Sun).
Having it appear in dreams is often an expression of a bad conscience.
If the dreamer has a problematic relationship with his father, the father in the dream would appear as the Pope, or as Almighty God-the Father, who guides and controls the dreamer’s world.
According to Jung, the image represents the one who generates and creates, the intellectual principle, the one who gives life.... Little Giant Encyclopedia
To dream that your father has died indicates that you should go forward with some caution in matters of business.
To dream that you hit your father suggests that you wish you had a better relationship with your father. He may not be accepting what you have to say.
If you are hitting your father with a rubber object, then the things you are telling him are making no difference to him.... Dream Symbols and Analysis
If he is silent, or if he appears to be ill or dead, then you may expect trouble. See also MOTHER. ... Mystic Dream Book
A father generally represents support, protection, and heroism.
If this is a pleasant dream where the father is amiable, then this represents that you are in balance and harmony with the father/masculine/God aspect of yourself.
If the father character is malevolent, this represents a distrust of God/ the universe of your own father, or the father aspect of yourself, as in the ability to provide or protect yourself from harm. See God and King.... Strangest Dream Explanations
If the father is dead, it shows a sign of affliction. ... Indian Interpretation of Dreams
If the relationship with father has been a difficult or negative one, there may be some resistance in waking life to resolving the various conflicts that will have arisen. Often this can be accomplished spontaneously in dreams. In a man’s life father becomes a role model, whether appropriate or not.
It is often only when the individual realizes that he is not being true to his own nature that dreams can point the way to a more successful life and perhaps an understanding of his father. In a woman’s life, father is the ‘pattern’ on whom she bases all later relationships with men. When she appreciates that she longer need use this pattern, she is often able to work out in dreams a more appropriate way to have a mature relationship. This can lead to dreams of her perhaps walking away from her father or leaving him behind.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
If your relationship with your father was good, dreaming of him implies advancement and/or assistance from authority figures in your life.
If your relationship with him was strained, however, dreaming of him indicates trouble coming from authority figures, such as your boss.
If you’re dreaming of a dead parent, especially if he or she is speaking to you, important news is coming your way. Whether the news is good or bad depends on other dynamics in the dream. Astrological parallels: Saturn (father) Tarot parallels: The Emperor... Dream Explanations of Astro Center
A dream that your father is dead forewarns that you need to proceed with caution in conducting your business.
To dream that your father is trying to hurt or kill you, it could reflect a real-life concern about how your father relates to you. Perhaps he has been restricting you in some way, or behaving in a way that threatens your emotional happiness.... My Dream Interpretation
To a child, the father is a symbol of wisdom and power, so in later years it is not unusual for the mind to revert to the father in times of stress.
It is natural to dream of members of the family. Sometimes the dreams express resentment actually unknown to the dreamer while awake.
If you dream of killing your father, it signifies repression and a desire to be noticed.... Psycho Dream Interpretation
• A man dreaming of his father suggests searching for a role model, whereas a woman dreaming of a father figure signifies a need to be looked after or taken care of.
For her it also links into the pattern of future relationships.
• Your father in a dream may be showing you, you need to “grow up” and rely on your own resources or take more responsibility for your life.... The Premier in Dream Dictionary
• Dreams • Assess your relationship with your father before deciding on what he represents in your dream.
• If you have a negative relationship, he might speak of the enemy in your life. He might speak of your failures, weaknesses, pain, hurt or conflict.
• More often than not, I have found that a father figure represents God the Father in an internal or internal prophetic dream.
A father is the perfect picture of masculinity and authority.
• Seeing a person’s father could be positive. He could represent the kind of image they will become.
• You might see a father figure to speak healing with regards to any broken relationship.
The Lord might be leading you to speak forth a restoration into the lives of those involved.
• Here is a passage that speaks positively about taking on the father’s image: • Luke 2:49 And he said to them, How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be about my Father’s business?
It is common for me to see a person’s father when I pray for them.
• Sometimes it means that there is a generational curse coming from their father.
• If this is the case, I often see an umbilical cord or chains coming from their father to them. This also applies to a mother figure.
• Seeing a person’s father could also indicate past hurts he inflicted or any bondage or control coming from him.
• Once again, the same principle can apply to ‘Mother’.
• Speaking of generational bondage from the line of the father: • 1 Kings 15:3 And he walked in all the sins of his father, which he had done before him: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD [Yahweh] his God, as the heart of David his father. ... The Way of Dreams and Visions
(1) Specially for men, father may be a conscience figure.
If this is the case, bear in mind that your father’s prohibitions and commands will probably represent either conventional moral opinions which may have no relevance to your true nature or ‘destiny5, or irrational fears and feelings of guilt that began to take shape in you in early childhood. (On Oedipus complex)
(2) For a woman, father may figure in a dream as one who generates affection (see Introduction, page 26).
(3) If father features in the dream as a protector, it may be that you need to ‘grow up’ and rely on your own resources. After all, life can hurt you only if you let it, only if you identify with your emotional self instead of with that deep layer of yourself that is immune to life’s pains and perils.
(4) If you dream of your father dying, this may be a wish-fulfilling dream. Feelings of hostility towards parents are common, stemming
from childhood feelings of resentment or envy. See also Dead / Death, section (3).
(5) Frequent appearances of either parent, or both, in dreams may be a sign that you have not thrown off an infantile over-dependence on them (see (3) above). Jung cites a young man’s dream in which the man’s father appeared as a drunken driver, smashing his car into a wall. This was the exact opposite of the real father, who was a most respectable person, righdy - but too much - respected by the son. What the unconscious was doing through the dream was dethroning the father in order to enable the son to achieve a proper sense of himself as a person in his own right, with his own unique destiny and value.
(6) Father may be an animus figure, representing a woman’s (unconscious) masculine qualities. In this case, the dream may be suggesting that she should cultivate this contrasexual side of her nature. (For animus, see Brother / Sister, section (4))
(7) Father may, if highly respected (and properly so), appear in a dream as a Wise Old Man figure. See also Wise Old Man) For father represented by an animal, see Animal(s).... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
If the father of the dreamer was ineffective as such, the dream may refer to an unconscious search for the father figure. However, if he was too strict, perhaps the dream is warning you not to repeat this behavior with yourself or with your own children. To dream of the death of your father may reflect your desire to break family ties and start being more independent. The father represents command, laws, and rules. In dreams, usually he appears through figures like a king, an emperor, a wise old man, the sun, or a weapon. Therefore, it symbolizes the world of moral precepts and prohibitions that restrain instincts. Thus, in dreams, the father often embodies traditional morality and the principle of authority.
It is no wonder, then, that in adolescence (formative period) it is very common for dreams of the father to appear, often as a hostile, tyrannical figure. According to Jung, this symbol played a crucial psychological role in the development of the individual. In contrast to the mother, which is the protection, security, and tenderness, the father symbolizes values closely linked to the masculine: risk, adventure, struggle, effort, rational inquiry, calculation, etc. In this respect, Freud emphasized the importance of the ancient Greek myth of Oedipus.
If the subject could not be separated properly from parental influence, it triggered a complex. According to his theories, in childhood (especially four to seven years) children experience a stage of incestuous desire for the mother. The complex arises when they do not overcome this stage and begin to harbor feelings of resentment, seeing the father figure as a rival to defeat. However, the Oedipus complex usually resolves itself during puberty. (See EAGLE, AUTHORITY, SWORD, FIRE, LIGHT, and TEACHER)... The Big Dictionary of Dreams
The appearance of the father or a father symbol in a dream is thus extraordinarily difficult to interpret, because the meaning depends so heavily on each individual’s experience with his or her own father.
At a general level we can say that fathers represent power, authority, caring, the law, responsibility, and tradition.
A father, as one of the co-producers of a new life, is also a creator.... Dream Symbols in The Dream Encyclopedia
This dream archetype represents the guiding wisdom that comes from within. A true father guides and shields those under his care, sacrificing his own desires when that’s appropriate. The shadow father emerges when that caring guidance and protection turns into dictatorial control or abuse of authority. See also FAMILY.... The Element Encyclopedia
If it does, it should be fairly apparent from the content of some of your dreams, especially if you are attacking, insulting or feeling envious towards your father.
Jung also believed the symbol of the father played a vital psychological role in waking life. He thought that a man dreaming of hostility towards his father was a positive sign, as it showed that the unconscious was dethroning the father so as to enable the dreamer to achieve a sense of self and be a person in his own right. A woman dreaming of a father figure is often dreaming of the pattern upon which all her future relationships are based; her dreams may encourage her to work out a more appropriate way to have mature relationships. The more difficult the relationship with her father, the harder this may be.
For men, a father may represent the conscience, or in Freudian terms, the superego.
If this is the case, bear in mind that your father’s prohibitions and commands will probably represent either conventional moral options that may lack relevance to your true nature or ‘destiny’, or irrational fears and feelings of guilt that began to take shape in early childhood. Of course, a dream about your father may simply express your current feelings for him and issues surrounding your relationship with him. The presence of your father may be a straightforward representation of him, or of the way you see or remember him. In any case, the reason for your father appearing in the dream will be shown by the part he plays in the dream story. For example if, in the dream, your father features as a protector, it may be that you need to ‘grow up’ and rely on your own resources.... The Element Encyclopedia
If the father figure was absent when you were growing up or your father never punished you severely or unfairly, your unconscious may summon up a father archetype to bring to your attention immature attitudes that are holding you back.
Your older brother, uncle or boss may assume the dream role of the archetypal father, a benevolent provider and protector who uses his authority fairly and wisely; in dreams, such figures may appear to dispense invaluable advice. Bear in mind, though, that the father figure can also abuse his authority and if father figures appear as brutes in your dreams, they may have been pointing to your own brutishness and selfishness.
If you had an authoritarian father, a wellknown dictator such as Hitler, Stalin or Chairman Mao may appear in your dreams representing that relationship.
If you dream about your boss, this may simply suggest anxieties you have about your work. Dream bosses, however, can also represent aspects of your father and dreams of being fired can recall parental rejection.
If you ask for a raise in your dream, this expresses a need for more attention and love in waking life, whilst a friendly boss reveals a longing for less responsibility.
If you are the boss in your dreams, this represents your desire for more dominance in a waking relationship.
If you rebel against your boss in your dream, this can be a positive sign, as rebelling against parental authority or challenging authority that is dictatorial and unjust is a healthy part of growing up and becoming a self-confident adult.
Houses are often represented as images of the dreamer; so a dream of a landlord or landlady, or someone else who actually owns your dream house, may suggest you are not feeling in control of your waking life; or perhaps someone, such as a partner or parent, is being overly dominant.... The Element Encyclopedia
To see him well and cheerful, foretells pleasant family relations.... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
For women who change partners frequently, the dream is the personification of a bad conscience (particularly if her father— when she was a child—was the primary disciplinarian).
If you yourself are the father, it means you will “create” a life. Speaking to your father: you have a suppressed longing to lean on someone or to be guided by someone. Seeing your own father: you feel you are bringing shame to your family and owe your father an apology. Dreaming about your deceased father: help is on the way or someone is making you very happy.
Depth Psychology: A father figure in a dream means a confrontation with your boss or with a person in authority. See Pastor, Physician, Priest, Teacher. You feel imprisoned. Sometimes the dream reminds you of a person who has stood by you and has given you advice in the past. What has your father contributed to the person you are today? What do you have in common with him? See Mother.... Dreamers Dictionary
2. Positive events happening.
3. Pleasant family relations (if father-in-law is happy). ... New American Dream Dictionary
2. Someone to ask the aid of.
3. Rely more on one’s family. ... New American Dream Dictionary
A grandfather in one’s house in a dream represents one’s own father. Therefore, any interpretation relative to one’s father should apply here. Ifone’s grandfather dies in a dream, it means loss of one’s determination and will.
(Also see Father)... Islamic Dream Interpretation
The all-powerful Father or the archetypal father, in contrast to the personal father.
The father principle.... Little Giant Encyclopedia
The Grandfather archetype represents the sky, the all seeing, and all knowing, wise part of yourself.
The Grandfather can sometimes represent God. This dream may be an opportunity to grapple with your feelings toward God, male elders, or about aging. See Zeus and King.... Strangest Dream Explanations
(2) In a man’s dream it may be a Wise Old Man figure. See also Wise Old Man / Woman, Grandmother, and Introduction, pages 49-50.... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
A grandfather clock in your dream can also mention that you are dnven or dominated by patriarchal values, which may be constnctive and outdated.... Ariadne's Book of Dream
If both your grandparents are deceased: expect to get help in a certain matter, or you have decided to live a more prudent life.
Depth Psychology: Grandparents represent the wisdom that is available to you.
If you use good judgment in the things you do, everything will turn out all right.... Dreamers Dictionary
If you do not have a stepfather, this dream may indicate issues of tension or disappointment with your father.... My Dream Interpretation
If you do not have a stepfather in real life, this dream may indicate issues of tension or disappointment with your father.... The Element Encyclopedia
If you are a dream of dealing with a stepmother or stepfather, consider your role, and feelings toward her/him. This dream is revealing your feelings and attitudes about unwelcome and disruptive energy at home. Alternatively, this dream can also signify a desire for more mother/father love in your life.... Strangest Dream Explanations