2. Authority or repression (older brother).
3. Conﬂicts (if arguing). ... New American Dream Dictionary
A brother in a dream means having shareholders in one’s business.... Islamic Dream Interpretation
If you do not have a brother and dream that you have one, then this may indicate that you have to recognize certain attributes that you possess.
The brother in your dream may represent a very important relationship that you share with someone else.
A brother may also signify devout and inspirational emotions that you harbor.
It is also possible that you have trouble surrendering control and power to someone else.
To dream that you are mad or angry at your brother implies that you hold unresolved feelings of rage that you are hesitant to communicate... Dream Symbols and Analysis
If a woman dreams of her Brother, it is a sign of much domestic happiness; but if it is a man, then expect a quarrel.... Mystic Dream Book
If you don’t have a brother, this dream can be symbolic of brotherly love, being a “soul brother”, having a trusted bloodline with a man, or your connection to the brotherhood of men. See Family, Son and Boy.... Strangest Dream Explanations
An older brother can signify her extrovert self.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
Dreaming of a brother you don’t have means you feel the need to express yourself more fully.... My Dream Interpretation
For a woman it signifies great domestic security, but for a man it indicates family quarrels ahead.
An objective dream of unity between brothers is an indication of financial stability.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
If the former is the case, it may be obvious to you: recent encounters with your brother or sister, or some piece of news about him or her may be recognized as prompting the dream. Always be on the look-out, though, for those dreams where a brother or sister plavs a symbolic role. The dream source may choose its materials - its images - from your recent external experiences, but what those dream images represent is nearly always some part of yourself. So please read on.
(2) In early childhood a brother or sister is a natural object of jealousy and hatred. In the eyes of a small child the mother may seem to be favouring his or her sibling. When a second child is bom, the firstborn is especially likely to develop hostile feelings towards the new’ rival for mother’s attention and affection. Sometimes w’e carrv such jealous grievances (at an unconscious level) into adult life, w’here they continue to affect our behaviour and attitudes.
It is then imperative that w’e sort them out, face up to them, acknowledge them for w’hat they are, and so liberate ourselves from their damaging influence (see (3) below, second paragraph, on projections).
(3) An elder brother or sister (brother for a male dreamer, sister for a female dreamer) may represent your ‘other self (‘alter ego’), that side of your personality that has so far been neglected and undeveloped. Jung called it ‘the Shadow’’. We start adult life w’ith a self-image that is usually some sort of compromise between what w’e w’ant to be or do and w’hat parents or society at large seems to require of us.
If this self-image corresponds to our actual abilities, all may be well for a while; but a time mav come w hen wre need to give attention to other facets of our (potential) self. These other facets - our Shadow- - will show- themselves to us in dreams; and one form they take in dreams is that of an elder brother or sister.
People often project their shadow- on to a sibling of the same sex as themselves; and if it is not projected, it may express itself in all kinds of aw kward and embarrassing ways - astonishing rudeness, for example, or other antisocial behaviour. The contrast between your conscious ego and your alter ego mav be as startling as that between Jekvll and Hyde. Don’t be alarmed, though: remember alw-ays that your unconscious is vour ally - vour best friend - and even the most frightening or appalling things that reveal themselves in dreams as parts of vour unconscious are frightening or appalling, first, because of their unfamiliaritv and / or secondly, because, having been neglected and locked away in the dark, they tend to behave like a neglected child and mav become mutinous (on this phenomenon, see Demon). Pay proper attention and proper respect to them, and their threatening features will disappear; they will prove themselves valuable supplements to vour personal equipment for coping with life and achieving full satisfaction and wholeness. Introduce them into your consciousness, identify them and their needs, and give them a controlled and appropriate part to play in your waking life.
Incidentally, one test you can apply to check whether you have a neglected shadow-self is to ask yourself if there is some characteristic that you particularly dislike in other people (particularly your partner): a domineering tendency’, perhaps, or an over-liberal attitude, or whatever.
If there is (and of course you need a lot of honesty’ to admit this), then that characteristic is likely to belong to your shadow-self. We tend to project on to other people the dark, ‘nasty5 things that live in our own unconscious.
If something is going wrong in our life, we tend to put the blame on to other people, the government, or our parents; we look for some scapegoat to carry the blame. The blame, how ever, is ours, because we have not put our own house in order: we have not paid due attention to the demands of our unconscious and have not allowed our ‘other self proper scope for expression in our life.
(4) When a female dreams of a brother, or a male dreams of a sister, the brother / sister may represent w’hat Jung called the ‘soul-image’, w’hich is the masculine side of a woman’s personality (her animus) or the feminine side of a man’s personality (his anima). There would seem to be very basic differences between man and woman arising out of different biological functions (as well as less basic differences that owe their existence to social conditioning). There are w’hat have traditionally been called feminine qualities and capacities (such as gentleness, a caring disposition, creativeness, cooperativencss and relatedness, intuition) and, similarly, what have been called masculine qualities (such as aggressiveness and competitiveness, rationality’, and a tendency to analyse and look for differences). However, it is widclv accepted nowadays among psychotherapists that the male psyche also contains feminine qualities and the female psyche also contains masculine qualities, albeit often dormant and neglected, or repressed.
If you arc a man, do you admire the ‘masculine’ tv pc of woman? If vou do, vou may be in need of redressing the balance in vour psyche: vour feminine side
has possibly swamped your masculinity, and you now need to promote the latter. In your case, the anima will be rather masculine. This is just one instance of a general rule: the animus / anima will have the opposite characteristics to the conscious self-image.
Either male or female dreamers may find themselves in a dream in an heroic relationship to an anima / animus figure. A man may, in a dream, rescue a damsel in distress; a woman may waken a dead prince with a kiss. These should be seen as invitations to incorporate your anima / animus into vour conscious functioning, to rescue it from oblivion and neglect: to make Cinderella or the Frog-Prince your partner in life. Personal wholeness cannot be achieved without this. See also Cinderella, Frog, section (3), Marriage.
(5) A sister in a man’s dream or a brother in a woman’s dream may take the dreamer into some frightening abyss, to the bottom of the sea, or into a dark forest. This may represent the man’s anima or the woman’s animus leading the ego into the unconscious, to discover, for example, the deep emotional causes of a psychosomatic illness; the repressed rage that lies at the bottom of a chronic boredom; or the fount of energy or wisdom that can furnish a more fully satisfying existence. Literary and mythological representations of this can be found in the examples of Beatrice, who led Dante safely into hell and out again, and Ariadne, whose thread enabled Theseus to find his way out of the Cretan labyrinth after slaying the Minotaur. Both hell and labyrinths are symbols of the unconscious. See also Labyrinth, Monster, Underworld.
(6) Sometimes the anima / animus figure in a dream may appear in some way hostile or threatening. For example, in a man’s dream the anima may take the form of an enchantress, a femme fatale, seducing men into a lake or ocean. The watery depths may be seen as symbolizing the depths of the unconscious. The meaning of such a dream may be that the dreamer needs to explore his other - unconscious - self, despite (or, more accurately, because of) its frightening and threatening aspect. Water, however, is a symbol of the feminine, too. The meaning of the dream, therefore, might be that die dreamer is too heavily fixated on his mother and needs to liberate himself by asserting his masculinity and independence; in extreme cases the man might be in danger of being “possessed’ or ‘swallowed up’ by the feminine within his psyche. Such a dream may be, however, not a warning, but an invitation: the unconscious may be urging the man to get on better terms - equal terms - with the feminine side of his psyche. Give your anima / animus equality, and it will cease from its mutinous attempts to take over the whole of your psyche.
In the case of a woman, a dream may contain a male seducer: some Pied Piper animus figure. Again, the dreamer will have to decide whether such a dream is a warning or an invitation: a warning against being carried away by her masculinity (perhaps she has not resolved her early father fixation), or an invitation to discover and utilize her neglected masculinity. Commonsense and, above all, honesty should guide her to the correct understanding of the dream; and in any case, bear in mind what was said above about giving equality to the anima / animus.
(7) The unconscious compensates the conscious mind. It contains those qualities and capacities which the conscious mind lacks. In this sense it is the opposite of the conscious mind; hence its otherness, its alien appearance.
It follows, therefore, that the image that represents anima or animus in a dream may be the opposite of the psychological type to which the dreamer belongs. For example, if you are a woman of the intellectual type (i.e. if thinking is your strong point at the conscious level), your animus may be represented in dreams as a sentimental type (a romantic Don Juan, for instance).
If you are a sentimental woman (moved at the conscious level mainly by feelings - including moral feelings), your animus may show itself as a bearded professor or other intellectual figure.
If you are an intuitive woman (an artist, for instance), your animus mav take a muscular he-man form in dreams (the sensational type, functioning most strongly at the sensory level).
(8) If brother and sister appear together in a dream, this may symbolize either the tension of opposites, or the union of opposites. The opposites are the conscious and the unconscious contents of the psyche. Their union and interfusion are the means by which the self- the true self that is already within you but waits to be unfolded - is realized.
The appearance of this symbol will usually be an auspicious sign, meaning that, despite all appearances to the contrary, there is within you a latent and attainable order and harmony. But of course you - the conscious ego - must make that latent order real by paying loving attention to the needs of your unconscious opposite (like the prince who wakes the sleeping beauty with an embrace).... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
If a woman dreams of a younger brother, it can express either her own or her brother’s rivalry or vulnerability, but if she dreams of an older brother, it might signify her extrovert self.
The sister in dreams usually represents the feeling, expressive side of your personality and you can make contact with that side of yourself by understanding your sister’s personality.
If a man dreams of older sisters, it can represent anxiety but also caring.
If the sister is younger, however, she can symbolize the vulnerable side of the male dreamer.
If a woman dreams of younger sisters, it can suggest rivalry, but if she dreams of older sisters, she may be concerned about her own practicality.... The Element Encyclopedia
2- Any grouping of the masculine usually alerts us to the many sides and aspects of the masculine personality.
3- The Priesthood.... Ten Thousand Dream Dictionary
For a young woman to dream that she is exchanging sweethearts with her friend, indicates that she will do well to heed this as advice, as she would be happier with another. ... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
Dreaming of the stock exchange signifies the excitement of taking a calculated risk.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
To be exchanging clothes with someone signifies our need for a new persona.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
Exchanging money, however, signifies an unexpected trip.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
A money exchanger in a dream also represents a religious doctor or a scholar who takes religious questions and interprets their definitions. He also could be a dream interpreter who measures everything he takes in and gives an appropriate answer. He takes a pearl necklace for a price and gives words in return, or he takes scattered words and gives a beautiful pearl necklace in exchange.
If one who is experiencing difficulties in wakefulness changes some money in a dream, it means that his difficulties will diminish.
If one buys gold coins and gives silver money in exchange in a dream, it means reparation, financial obligations or liability. Seeing a money exchanger in a dream also represents wealth, or quick richness from suspicious sources, or he could represent an accountant, a bookkeeper, or a ledger keeper.... Islamic Dream Interpretation
To have them blacked in your dreams, foretells improvement in your affairs, and some important event will cause you satisfaction. New shoes, augur changes which will prove beneficial.
If they pinch your feet, you will be uncomfortably exposed to the practical joking of the fun-loving companions of your sex.
To find them untied, denotes losses, quarrels and ill-health.
To lose them, is a sign of desertion and divorces.
To dream that your shoes have been stolen during the night, but you have two pairs of hose, denotes you will have a loss, but will gain in some other pursuit.
For a young woman to dream that her shoes are admired while on her feet, warns her to be cautious in allowing newly introduced people, and men of any kind, to approach her in a familiar way. ... Ten Thousand Dream Interpretation
2. If shoes are worn out, one has tried very hard to succeed.
3. Wearing baby shoes signiﬁes that one’s approach to life is innocent and pure.
4. To be shining shoes signiﬁes hope for the future.
5. If one can’t ﬁnd shoes, it means that the dreamer is sabotaging his/her own success. ... New American Dream Dictionary
If you dream of shoes that are shabby and worn out, you can expect success in your business through hard work. New shoes mean overconfidence, but if you lose a shoe you will experience setbacks or losses.... Tryskelion Dream Interpretation
Old, torn shoes symbolize snares along the path, or long, hard roads traveled to obtain your heart’s desire. These can also reveal a tendency to always fall back on what’s comfortable and known to you, instead of taking risks.
Boots are protective, so this dream may portend some rough footing’ ahead for which you should prepare.
Wearing unusual shoes in a dream may indicate a need to see things differently. Try looking at this situation from another perspective (e.g., “walking a mile in someone else’s shoes”).
The kind of shoes seen in the dream can reveal how you walk through life.
For example, seeing baby shoes means that you’re very unsure of things, and compensate by moving slowly. Ballet shoes can disclose a person who either tiptoes through difficult situations, or someone who has unique grace and mobility.
Trying on shoes represents testing various options until you find the perfect one (e.g., “if the shoe fits, wear it”).
Yearing new shoes symbolizes change and transitions with which you may not be totally comfortable yet.
In Egypt and Greece, shoes were part of fertility rights, which is how they became part of marriage rituals today. So, the throwing of a shoe or seeing numerous shoes following behind you in a dream represents productivity or abundance.
Small shoes symbolize virginity, or being naive about worldly matters, as in the storv of Cinderella.... The Language of Dreams
To lose one shoe is a sign of quarrels.... The Complete Dream Book
The dream also means that you are unhappy or dissatisfied with your present situation. See Running.... Dreamers Dictionary
If you dream the shoes you are wearing is shabby and worn out you can expect success in your business through hard work. New shoes mean overconfidence, but if you lose a shoe you will experience setbacks or losses.... Encyclopedia of Dreams
To dream that your Shoes are worn or patched is a certain sign of difficulties, but with care and hard work you will succeed. New Shoes show some fortunate enterprise, with unexpected results. See also BOOTS.... Mystic Dream Book
If you dream that your shoes are dirty and ragged, you will make enemies if you continue to criticize people. New shoes signify positive changes. Losing your shoes is a sign that you might lose an important relationship.
If you dream that others are admiring your shoes, you should be cautious around people you have recently met for the first time, especially males.
To dream that you are wearing inappropriate shoes for the activity at hand, suggests that your progress and path in life will be challenged because you are not well-prepared. It may also indicate that you are heading in the wrong direction and need to reevaluate your goals.
If you dream of wearing someone else’s shoes, this is a strong indication that you need to start looking at situations and relationships from other people’s point-of-views. Your opinions and attitudes are not the only ones that matter - be more considerate of others.
To dream that someone else is wearing your shoes, signifies a loss of identity. You may feel that someone else is copying your style, or stealing something from you that is very special. This is a typical dream when you feel like you’re being replaced in your friendship group, in a love relationship, or even in a family (perhaps by a new baby). Also see “High Heels”... My Dream Interpretation
To have your shoes shined in your dream predicts important changes ahead. Untied shoes forebode misfortune and quarrels.... Psycho Dream Interpretation
To see a shoemaker at work is a sign of an unanticipated new business offer.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
If you dream that you are buying shoes, it shows that you need protection.
If the shoes are small or cause you harm, it shows that you are not ready to give everything that is expected of you. In contrast, if the shoes are big, it shows that you have many resources within your reach, but that you do not know how to funnel them appropriately. Clothing that introduces a certain part of the body were for Freud sexual symbols. In this sense, fairy tales use the same language. When Cinderella puts her foot in the shoe, it shows her sexual desire for the prince.
According to popular superstition, losing a shoe precedes an illness.
It is possible that this belief come from an ancient English custom which consisted of burning an old smelly shoe in the fireplace to drive off possible household infections. Lastly, shoes covered in dust foretell an unexpected trip; shining shoes foretell felicity and love.... The Big Dictionary of Dreams
The shoes in your dreams can illuminate how well you are walking your walk. Since shoes adorn the feet, they represent personal self- expression and choices around where you are headed.
The phrase “walk in someone else’s shoes” may be important to consider in a dream with shoes in it. Trying on new and different shoes can connect to a need to discover new ways of moving about your life. Different shoes or mismatched pairs are expressing confusion about where your steps may lead you. Lost shoes indicate a need to find ways of grounding yourself and call you to inquire about the ways in which you may not be fully prepared to move in new directions.... Complete Dictionary of Dreams
If you do not have step-brothers and step-sisters in waking life, this may indicate a lack of intimacy and connection in your current social circle. See also RELATIONSHIPS.... The Element Encyclopedia