2. Traveling abroad means one longs to be free from a current situation.
3. If actually traveling overseas, the desire to be ﬁnancially well-off.
4. Experiencing something that is difﬁcult to handle which may indicate a need for a move to another area.
5. If traveling by ship to some place, indicates one may have found an important new friend. ... New American Dream Dictionary
To dream of being abroad, in foreign places, indicates an unsettled condition and a probable change of location.... The Bedside Dream Dictionary
If you dream of sailing a ship abroad, it means you may soon meet a new and very influential friend.... Tryskelion Dream Interpretation
2- There is a psychological need to get away from (escape), or leave, a situation. We are perhaps travelling towards something new. Our minds arc more than capable of accepting new input and experience and will often do so on a subliminal level. We then become aware through dreams of what we have learnt, or what we have to do.
3- In a spiritual sense going or being abroad is all about new spiritual experiences.... Ten Thousand Dream Dictionary
If we are aware of the country we are in or travelling to, then there is a particular quality or character trait that may be developed in us.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
For a woman her issues may be about security and emotional commitment.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
To dream of being abroad, in foreign places, indicates an unsettled condition and a probable change of location.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
If someone or something arrives from abroad, this represents a change or something new happening in your life. Someone of the opposite sex arriving from abroad indicates hopes for a new relationship or the need for new life to be injected into a current relationship. The dream may also be slang—‘a broad’—expressing desire for a particular female.... The Element Encyclopedia
Dreaming of an expedition through an unknown land may refer to the need to explore an idea, project or relationship more thoroughly. Whether or not you are successful as an explorer in your dream will be significant.
If you set up a camp in your dream travels, this may suggest uncertainty and transience in waking life.
To dream that you are at the docks signifies that you are about to make a journey, either to another place or into undiscovered parts of yourself.
If you are dreaming that you are in a busy airport, it may symbolize a longing for freedom from responsibilities; alternatively, it may mean that you are heading towards a new stage in your life, whether it is a new career goal, new relationship or new journey.
If you find yourself at a deserted airport, it may represent plans that need to be altered or delayed. See also FOREIGN COUNTRIES; TRAVEL.... The Element Encyclopedia
2. Authority or repression (older brother).
3. Conﬂicts (if arguing). ... New American Dream Dictionary
A brother in a dream means having shareholders in one’s business.... Islamic Dream Interpretation
If you do not have a brother and dream that you have one, then this may indicate that you have to recognize certain attributes that you possess.
The brother in your dream may represent a very important relationship that you share with someone else.
A brother may also signify devout and inspirational emotions that you harbor.
It is also possible that you have trouble surrendering control and power to someone else.
To dream that you are mad or angry at your brother implies that you hold unresolved feelings of rage that you are hesitant to communicate... Dream Symbols and Analysis
If a woman dreams of her Brother, it is a sign of much domestic happiness; but if it is a man, then expect a quarrel.... Mystic Dream Book
If you don’t have a brother, this dream can be symbolic of brotherly love, being a “soul brother”, having a trusted bloodline with a man, or your connection to the brotherhood of men. See Family, Son and Boy.... Strangest Dream Explanations
An older brother can signify her extrovert self.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
Dreaming of a brother you don’t have means you feel the need to express yourself more fully.... My Dream Interpretation
For a woman it signifies great domestic security, but for a man it indicates family quarrels ahead.
An objective dream of unity between brothers is an indication of financial stability.... The Complete Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams
If the former is the case, it may be obvious to you: recent encounters with your brother or sister, or some piece of news about him or her may be recognized as prompting the dream. Always be on the look-out, though, for those dreams where a brother or sister plavs a symbolic role. The dream source may choose its materials - its images - from your recent external experiences, but what those dream images represent is nearly always some part of yourself. So please read on.
(2) In early childhood a brother or sister is a natural object of jealousy and hatred. In the eyes of a small child the mother may seem to be favouring his or her sibling. When a second child is bom, the firstborn is especially likely to develop hostile feelings towards the new’ rival for mother’s attention and affection. Sometimes w’e carrv such jealous grievances (at an unconscious level) into adult life, w’here they continue to affect our behaviour and attitudes.
It is then imperative that w’e sort them out, face up to them, acknowledge them for w’hat they are, and so liberate ourselves from their damaging influence (see (3) below, second paragraph, on projections).
(3) An elder brother or sister (brother for a male dreamer, sister for a female dreamer) may represent your ‘other self (‘alter ego’), that side of your personality that has so far been neglected and undeveloped. Jung called it ‘the Shadow’’. We start adult life w’ith a self-image that is usually some sort of compromise between what w’e w’ant to be or do and w’hat parents or society at large seems to require of us.
If this self-image corresponds to our actual abilities, all may be well for a while; but a time mav come w hen wre need to give attention to other facets of our (potential) self. These other facets - our Shadow- - will show- themselves to us in dreams; and one form they take in dreams is that of an elder brother or sister.
People often project their shadow- on to a sibling of the same sex as themselves; and if it is not projected, it may express itself in all kinds of aw kward and embarrassing ways - astonishing rudeness, for example, or other antisocial behaviour. The contrast between your conscious ego and your alter ego mav be as startling as that between Jekvll and Hyde. Don’t be alarmed, though: remember alw-ays that your unconscious is vour ally - vour best friend - and even the most frightening or appalling things that reveal themselves in dreams as parts of vour unconscious are frightening or appalling, first, because of their unfamiliaritv and / or secondly, because, having been neglected and locked away in the dark, they tend to behave like a neglected child and mav become mutinous (on this phenomenon, see Demon). Pay proper attention and proper respect to them, and their threatening features will disappear; they will prove themselves valuable supplements to vour personal equipment for coping with life and achieving full satisfaction and wholeness. Introduce them into your consciousness, identify them and their needs, and give them a controlled and appropriate part to play in your waking life.
Incidentally, one test you can apply to check whether you have a neglected shadow-self is to ask yourself if there is some characteristic that you particularly dislike in other people (particularly your partner): a domineering tendency’, perhaps, or an over-liberal attitude, or whatever.
If there is (and of course you need a lot of honesty’ to admit this), then that characteristic is likely to belong to your shadow-self. We tend to project on to other people the dark, ‘nasty5 things that live in our own unconscious.
If something is going wrong in our life, we tend to put the blame on to other people, the government, or our parents; we look for some scapegoat to carry the blame. The blame, how ever, is ours, because we have not put our own house in order: we have not paid due attention to the demands of our unconscious and have not allowed our ‘other self proper scope for expression in our life.
(4) When a female dreams of a brother, or a male dreams of a sister, the brother / sister may represent w’hat Jung called the ‘soul-image’, w’hich is the masculine side of a woman’s personality (her animus) or the feminine side of a man’s personality (his anima). There would seem to be very basic differences between man and woman arising out of different biological functions (as well as less basic differences that owe their existence to social conditioning). There are w’hat have traditionally been called feminine qualities and capacities (such as gentleness, a caring disposition, creativeness, cooperativencss and relatedness, intuition) and, similarly, what have been called masculine qualities (such as aggressiveness and competitiveness, rationality’, and a tendency to analyse and look for differences). However, it is widclv accepted nowadays among psychotherapists that the male psyche also contains feminine qualities and the female psyche also contains masculine qualities, albeit often dormant and neglected, or repressed.
If you arc a man, do you admire the ‘masculine’ tv pc of woman? If vou do, vou may be in need of redressing the balance in vour psyche: vour feminine side
has possibly swamped your masculinity, and you now need to promote the latter. In your case, the anima will be rather masculine. This is just one instance of a general rule: the animus / anima will have the opposite characteristics to the conscious self-image.
Either male or female dreamers may find themselves in a dream in an heroic relationship to an anima / animus figure. A man may, in a dream, rescue a damsel in distress; a woman may waken a dead prince with a kiss. These should be seen as invitations to incorporate your anima / animus into vour conscious functioning, to rescue it from oblivion and neglect: to make Cinderella or the Frog-Prince your partner in life. Personal wholeness cannot be achieved without this. See also Cinderella, Frog, section (3), Marriage.
(5) A sister in a man’s dream or a brother in a woman’s dream may take the dreamer into some frightening abyss, to the bottom of the sea, or into a dark forest. This may represent the man’s anima or the woman’s animus leading the ego into the unconscious, to discover, for example, the deep emotional causes of a psychosomatic illness; the repressed rage that lies at the bottom of a chronic boredom; or the fount of energy or wisdom that can furnish a more fully satisfying existence. Literary and mythological representations of this can be found in the examples of Beatrice, who led Dante safely into hell and out again, and Ariadne, whose thread enabled Theseus to find his way out of the Cretan labyrinth after slaying the Minotaur. Both hell and labyrinths are symbols of the unconscious. See also Labyrinth, Monster, Underworld.
(6) Sometimes the anima / animus figure in a dream may appear in some way hostile or threatening. For example, in a man’s dream the anima may take the form of an enchantress, a femme fatale, seducing men into a lake or ocean. The watery depths may be seen as symbolizing the depths of the unconscious. The meaning of such a dream may be that the dreamer needs to explore his other - unconscious - self, despite (or, more accurately, because of) its frightening and threatening aspect. Water, however, is a symbol of the feminine, too. The meaning of the dream, therefore, might be that die dreamer is too heavily fixated on his mother and needs to liberate himself by asserting his masculinity and independence; in extreme cases the man might be in danger of being “possessed’ or ‘swallowed up’ by the feminine within his psyche. Such a dream may be, however, not a warning, but an invitation: the unconscious may be urging the man to get on better terms - equal terms - with the feminine side of his psyche. Give your anima / animus equality, and it will cease from its mutinous attempts to take over the whole of your psyche.
In the case of a woman, a dream may contain a male seducer: some Pied Piper animus figure. Again, the dreamer will have to decide whether such a dream is a warning or an invitation: a warning against being carried away by her masculinity (perhaps she has not resolved her early father fixation), or an invitation to discover and utilize her neglected masculinity. Commonsense and, above all, honesty should guide her to the correct understanding of the dream; and in any case, bear in mind what was said above about giving equality to the anima / animus.
(7) The unconscious compensates the conscious mind. It contains those qualities and capacities which the conscious mind lacks. In this sense it is the opposite of the conscious mind; hence its otherness, its alien appearance.
It follows, therefore, that the image that represents anima or animus in a dream may be the opposite of the psychological type to which the dreamer belongs. For example, if you are a woman of the intellectual type (i.e. if thinking is your strong point at the conscious level), your animus may be represented in dreams as a sentimental type (a romantic Don Juan, for instance).
If you are a sentimental woman (moved at the conscious level mainly by feelings - including moral feelings), your animus may show itself as a bearded professor or other intellectual figure.
If you are an intuitive woman (an artist, for instance), your animus mav take a muscular he-man form in dreams (the sensational type, functioning most strongly at the sensory level).
(8) If brother and sister appear together in a dream, this may symbolize either the tension of opposites, or the union of opposites. The opposites are the conscious and the unconscious contents of the psyche. Their union and interfusion are the means by which the self- the true self that is already within you but waits to be unfolded - is realized.
The appearance of this symbol will usually be an auspicious sign, meaning that, despite all appearances to the contrary, there is within you a latent and attainable order and harmony. But of course you - the conscious ego - must make that latent order real by paying loving attention to the needs of your unconscious opposite (like the prince who wakes the sleeping beauty with an embrace).... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
If a woman dreams of a younger brother, it can express either her own or her brother’s rivalry or vulnerability, but if she dreams of an older brother, it might signify her extrovert self.
The sister in dreams usually represents the feeling, expressive side of your personality and you can make contact with that side of yourself by understanding your sister’s personality.
If a man dreams of older sisters, it can represent anxiety but also caring.
If the sister is younger, however, she can symbolize the vulnerable side of the male dreamer.
If a woman dreams of younger sisters, it can suggest rivalry, but if she dreams of older sisters, she may be concerned about her own practicality.... The Element Encyclopedia
2- Any grouping of the masculine usually alerts us to the many sides and aspects of the masculine personality.
3- The Priesthood.... Ten Thousand Dream Dictionary
The dreamer must deal with the confrontation of something new.
A foreign country always is the “foreign land” within ourselves.
A trip abroad and vacation when overworked. What does the foreign land symbolize to you?... Little Giant Encyclopedia
2. Change toward the progressive.
3. Repressed thoughts or emotions; passivity.
4. Prosperity (left-handed writing). ... New American Dream Dictionary
Depth Psychology: Left: be cautious because it is the dark and mysterious side.
The “road to the left” is always dangerous, because left stands for the unconscious, destructive, and irrational within us.
Dreaming of being paralyzed on the left side says you are operating too much from intellect and reason and that you should try to strengthen your emotional, intuitive side. See... Dreamers Dictionary
The left also symbolizes compassion, democracy, liberal politics, and creative solutions.... Strangest Dream Explanations
The left side is supportive in expression, and receptive by nature, so anything appearing in dreams on the left side can be accepted as a symbol of support. Any pain experienced on the left side is interpreted in terms of sensitivity.
The left expresses the more feminine attributes and often the past. Any conflict between right and left indicates the differences between logic and intuition. Indecision over left or right suggests an inability to decide whether to rely on drive or instinct. Feelings of being left behind suggest a sense of inadequacy, of disintegration and of having to leave the past behind.... Dream Meanings of Versatile
If you are a right-handed person but you dream of being left-handed, you may face an awkward personal situation or a dangerous rival.
If you actually are left-handed, the dream is a good omen of better luck ahead. Dreams that strongly feature your left hand (using it or looking at it) predict frustrations and minor difficulties.... My Dream Interpretation
The left side of the body represents heart, emotions, unconscious factors, intuition. Movement from right to left, or anticlockwise, symbolizes moving over from reason to intuition, from conscious to unconscious, etc. (Movement to the left is contrary’ to the way of the sun, which is a symbol of consciousness.)... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
An ancient belief says that the Devil appears to the left of people to tempt them.... The Big Dictionary of Dreams
If this is the case, bear in mind that if you are right-handed, the right hemisphere of the brain is thought to control the left side of the body and this part of the brain is instinctive, artistic and intuitive. The left side of the body therefore indicates these qualities and in dreams represents the parts of yourself that are less expressed, such as the unconscious. In right-handed people, the left hemisphere of the brain is thought to control the right side of the body, and this part of the brain is believed to be logical and functional. The right side of the body therefore represents the dominant, conscious and well-expressed side of yourself. Dreams can also use a play on what is right or left to suggest opposites or conflicts within yourself. The left usually suggests the external world of activity and the environment, whilst the right parts of your unconscious suggest struggling to express yourself. A few people might also find that in some dreams one side of their body represent the feelings and attitudes they absorbed from their mother, and the other side what they absorbed from their father.... The Element Encyclopedia
A group of friends I was with had gone ahead, left me behind, and I wondered if I would ever catch up’ (Patience C). Oneself left behind: feelings of rejection or inadequacy; sense of waking up to what you have not done or experienced in life, as Patience does in her dream. Leaving something, someone behind: leaving the past behind, breakup of relationship. Idioms: fall behind; put it all behind me. See also bag. ... A Guide to Dreams and Sleep Experiences
if we are right handed, the left represents the less dominant or expressed side of oneself, or the parts of our nature we try to hide or suppress.
If we write or knock in a nail using our right hand, we will hold the paper or nail with our left. So left leg or arm frequently has this sense of representing the supponive but less dominant functions in us. Our confidence may suppon our activity as a salesperson, so may be depicted as being on the left.
the dominant, confident, conscious, exterior or expressed side of self; lightness; correct social behaviour, moral.
Dreams can also use a play on what is right and left to illustrate a polarity or opposites. Our internal world of feelings, memories and values—the left; our external world of activity and environment—the right.
A secondary choice— left; the right’ choice at the time—right. Pans of self unconscious or shadowy—left; our conscious known self—right.
The immoral, selfish, wrong action—left; the moral, right action—right.
Example: ‘On my right are three monks, on my left sits a beautiful, shapely blonde. I am in the centre and I see a road, which leads to the right and a beautiful sunlit valley in the distance’ (from Dreams Your Magic Mirror by Elsie Sechrist). Here right and left represent not only choice between sexual pleasure and religious discipline, but also the polar opposites of spiritual and material. Although in the dream there is a movement to the right, to find equilibrium we often have to take a way between the opposites.
Idioms: two left feet; keep on the right side of somebody; in one’s right mind, in the right; mister right; set somebody right; right hand man; right in the head, stan on the right foot; give one’s right arm. ... A Guide to Dreams and Sleep Experiences
To dream of seeing a left-handed pitcher or batter in a baseball game portends a successful business deal.
To dream of a right-handed person trying to write with the left hand, or vice-versa, is very lucky in its augury.... The Complete Dream Book
If you are saving something because you are afraid of running out of what you need, then this dream is helping you release scarcity consciousness.... Strangest Dream Explanations
(2) Right / left may also symbolize intellect / intuition or thought / feeling; masculinc / fcminine; activity and assertiveness / passivity and receptiveness.... A Dictionary of Dream Symbols
If you do not have step-brothers and step-sisters in waking life, this may indicate a lack of intimacy and connection in your current social circle. See also RELATIONSHIPS.... The Element Encyclopedia
If the left one is ripped or missing, it means no sons will be born to him.... Islamic Dream Interpretation